Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Quinoa Jambalaya



Today we're trying something new. Something healthy. Go with me on this. While I was cooking this, I was honestly worried it wasn't going to taste well at all. I mean, it has some awesome flavors, but the main ingredient... Quinoa... is new to me. I had never tried it, and I thought to myself that this is going to be disgusting! But, the good news is... I was wrong! It was very good! A little different from traditional jambalaya, but very good nonetheless.

So... just go with me on this. It'll be good!



Mince some garlic, cut some bell peppers, some zucchini, and some onions.



Then... drop it likes it hot with some chicken sausage, and let that cook all the way through.



Then add Chicken Broth, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and the Quinoa.

Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, and then add your shrimp!



Looking good!

And here's the finished product!



My wife got this recipe from Candace Bure... yes, DJ from Full House! I adapted it to fit our style a little bit! I hope you like it!

1 large clove of garlic
1/2 a bell pepper
1/2 yellow onion
1 zucchini
5 links Chicken Sausage
1 lb Shrimp
Salt
Pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 8 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes

Mince garlic, and dice bell pepper, onion, and zucchini. Heat your pot with the olive oil to med-high heat. Then sautee' the garlic bell pepper, onion, and zucchini. Then add sausage, and cook through.

Next, add Quinoa, chicken broth, and tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, peel your shrimp, and after it has simmered for 10 minutes, add shrimp, and let it cook through. It usually takes 2-5 minutes to cook shrimp through.

*Remember, if you overcook shrimp, it becomes a rubber tire... so keep an eye on it! :D

1 comment: