Saturday, June 23, 2012

Egg Salad Sandwiches and the Perfectly Hard-Boiled Egg



Summertime in Nashville is always an amazing time of year. Who am I kidding? Every time of year is amazing here.

It's starting to really warm up outside, and there's nothing like a nice, cool lunch to keep you going.



Egg Salad Sandwichs are just one of those things you have to make your own. Put what you like in it. Me? I like homemade bread and butter pickles from a lady that graciously gave me some a few weeks ago!

Many people like to put peppers and onions, and sun-dried tomatoes... the sky is the limit, but for me, I like to keep it simple with good quality mayo, pickles, salt, and pepper... that simple.

First, I have to tell you how to hard-boil the perfect egg. You may laugh, but a lot of people don't know this, and I found out first hand that I had been doing it wrong the whole time. A good sign you're over-boiling your eggs is when you see a green outer coating of the yolk. I thought that's just what happened. Now that I know exactly how it's done, the eggs are perfect. Creamy, yet still firm.

Here's how to do it:

1. In a medium saucepan, place your eggs in, and put enough cold water in the pan to cover the tops of the eggs. (Cold water because we want a gradual increase of temperature).

2. Over high heat, bring the pan to a roaring boil. Once you've obtained a roaring boil, turn off the heat.

3. Let the eggs sit for twelve minutes in the saucepan with a covered lid.

4. After twelve minutes, drain the water, and add cold water to begin bringing the eggs back down to room temperature. (I usually drain and add more water every few minutes to speed up the process).

5. After the eggs reach room temperature, you're done! Peel and eat!... or in my case, make egg salad.



Let me tell you a little story. When I was young, I spent many summers on the Mississippi Gulf Coast with my grandparents, and one of my favorite childhood memories is when my grandfather used to take my cousin and I crabbing. See... seafood is in my blood. My grandfather used to have a shrimping boat back before my time. That's what our family did, so needless to say, it's no wonder why I love seafood so much.

Anyway, he'd take us crabbing, but every morning before we left, my Granny would make us egg sandwiches. Plain and simple white bread with scrambled eggs and mayo. Since then, every time I eat egg salad, it carries me right back to my childhood.



I love these Egg Salad Sandwiches on whole wheat bread. It's a summer meal that cools you down and fills you up!

I hope you like it!

Egg Salad Sandwiches

4 eggs, hard boiled

2 tablespoons Blue Plate Mayonnaise (if Blue Plate isn't available, feel free to substitute)

2 teaspoons yellow mustard

bread and butter pickles, to taste

pinch of salt and pepper


Mash eggs with a fork in a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment