Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Southern" Homemade Biscuits

Who doesn't love biscuits? When I think of biscuits, it reminds me of fond memories of waking up at my grandmother's house, with the smell of biscuits in the oven permeating the air. Even at my parent's house, the thought of biscuits always triggers warm memories. Over the years, I've taken what I've learned from my grandmother, my mom, and my Nany (my adopted grandmother), and formed my own recipe. It's pretty basic...



The Recipe:

2 cups Self Rising Flour
1 1/2 stick Butter
1 tablespoon Sugar
3/4 cup milk (approx)
1/3 cup Crisco Shortening

In a cast iron skillet (preferably), melt 1/3 cup Crisco Shortening, and 1/2 a stick of butter in a 400* oven. In a mixing bowl, with a fork, blend flour and butter (at room temperature) until the flour becomes moist like a cornmeal mixture. Then, begin adding milk. It takes about 3/4 cup of milk to make the mixture thick and completely moist. Then roll out on a floured surface, and knead until thick and firm. With your biscuit cutter, cut your biscuits, and place them in your skillet with the melted shortening and butter, and bake for approximately 20 minutes.

I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment