Sunday, August 7, 2011

Strawberry Preserves



This morning I decided to test out a new recipe. I've never attempted preserves before, but I wanted to give it a shot.

The upside to making homemade preserves is... when you make it at home, you know exactly what goes into it, and exactly what goes in your mouth. No artificial sweeteners, sugars, words I can't pronounce... you get the idea.

I made a small amount just to see how it turned out, and it turned out awesome! It's sweet, rich, and healthy.

This recipe is a piece of cake (I wish I had a piece of cake right now). There's two ingredients: Strawberries and Sugar.



First, hull and slice your strawberries. I left my in decent chunks. I'm a chunky preserve kind of dude.





Next throw 'em in a pot, and add your sugar. Take a load off, because the hard work is done.



Then, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes... depending on altitude, humidity, and barometric pressure. (I'll explain further down.)



I was told to let simmer for about 15 minutes, but it took about 20-25. Your best bet is letting it simmer until you get the right consistency. I like mine thick... not runny, so I let mine simmer a little bit longer.

When you get to the consistency that's right for you, pour it in your mason jar, let it cool, and dig in.

For this recipe, I used a small amount to make sure it would turn out right, so I'm going to go ahead and double this recipe for you to make it easier. I hope you like it!

32 ounces strawberries
1 cup sugar

First, hull and dice your strawberries, and put in a saucepan.

Next, add 1 cup of sugar. I used raw cane sugar, but if you have granulated, have at it.

Bring to a boil, and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until you reach the consistency that's right for you.

Pour into a jar. Let it cool. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment