Thursday, May 24, 2012

DC2 Signature Chicken Salad


Here it is! Dudes Cook Too Signature Chicken Salad! I've worked hard on this recipe trying to find my favorite combination of ingredients that would make the BEST Chicken Salad!

Let me tell y'all a story... I used to manage a cleaning service. It's true. After high school, I worked for my uncle who owned a cleaning service, and then moved up to restaurant management before coming back to school. What a decade it was! Remember Nany? Well, I would go help her with certain clients, and whenever we did, she always had a lunch waiting on me. A lunch box filled with a Chicken Salad Sandwich, and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! What more could I ask for?? She always fixed me lunch, and whatever bad day I was having before was always turned around because she cared enough to pack me a lunch.

It's the small things in life... Holding doors... my wife fixing coffee before I crawl out of bed... packing Chicken Salad for a long day of work!... These are the things that matter: random acts of kindness! Try them.


Back to the Chicken Salad. This isn't Nany's recipe. Her chicken salad is only best when made by her! My recipe starts with some basic ingredients. Mainly... chicken. Have a food processor handy, and pulse several times.


Then, add your onions, celery, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.

We're getting somewhere now.


The juice of the lemon isn't just for flavor, it also becomes a binding agent as well in the chicken salad, and brings all of the flavors to life!


Now, for the secret ingredient: SUGAR. Heck yes... Sugar. It isn't an uncommon situation for someone to want to sweeten up their chicken salad a little. Many people use grapes or apples. I'm allergic... go figure, so I use sugar!


The last step in this is the most important. Mayonnaise. I never skimp on my mayonnaise, and I always use Blue Plate mayo for everything. Blue Plate has the best taste of any mayonnaise I've ever tried, and it has become a staple in our kitchen.


The beauty of Chicken Salad is you can make it yours. Don't have a food processor? Just dice everything. Don't want sugar? Use grapes. I LOVE grapes... I just can't have them. Chicken Salad is so versatile, you can add anything! Pecans, walnuts, apples, pineapple... the list goes on forever.

I hope you like it!

DUDES COOK TOO SIGNATURE CHICKEN SALAD

4 large boneless skinless chicken breast (organic, free range if available)
3 green onions
2 stalks celery
2/3 cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper

Boil your chicken on the stovetop until cooked. If unsure, you can check by inserting a thermometer into the breast of the chicken, and at 165*, it is done.

Place small pieces of chicken into the food processor, and pulse about 5-7 times, until chicken is shredded, but not completely demolished. Place the chicken in a bowl, and set aside.

Next, pulse your onion and celery, and place it in the bowl as well.

Add the juice of the lemon, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise, and combine.

Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment