Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blackened Catfish


If my accent, and my love for butter doesn't prove I'm southern, this definitely will! I love farm-raised catfish! Notice I said farm-raised... FRESH... Catfish. I'm picky about my catfish. My parents own a restaurant that specializes in catfish, so I know a good fillet when I see one. Many times, people don't cook catfish correctly. Here's a tip: If it tastes fishy, it's not right. Today, we're going to cook fresh, healthy, blackened catfish!


I served this wish some asparagus, and potatoes, and it made an amazing meal! I hope you like it!


Blackened Catfish

1 1b Fresh Catfish Fillet
1 cup Almond Milk (or Regular Milk will do)
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
! Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Thyme
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Salt

In a bowl, mix almond milk, and hot sauce, and stir. Brush the fillets with the almond milk/hot sauce mixture, and let sit for about 3-5 minutes. (The hot sauce pulls the fishy taste sometimes found in catfish out!)

Next, in another bowl, mix the onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and black pepper.

Pour spice mixture into a casserole pan, and coat each fillet.

On medium high heat, coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil, and cook fillets on both sides, until done, usually about 3 minutes on each side.

Sprinkle salt over catfish while they cook in the skillet.

Serve!

**If you like a little kick, by all means, add some cayenne pepper to the spice mixture. It'll knock your socks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment