Saturday, January 28, 2012

French Toast with Honey Maple Syrup


Growing up, one of my favorite things was to wake up on a Saturday morning, and smell my Mom cooking a big breakfast. Now that I'm married, my wife and I cook breakfast on the weekend every chance we get.

I wanted to cook my wife a delicious, hearty breakfast without all the calories, so I give you French Toast with homemade Honey Maple Syrup. This syrup cuts the calories in half, but never cuts the flavor.


To make the syrup, you bring 1/8 cup of pure maple syrup, 1 cup of pure raw honey, and 1 cup of water to a boil for about 5-10 minutes until you reach the desired thickness. Spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray, and the honey and maple syrup will come out perfect every time!


This entire recipe is around 270 calories per serving. You can't beat it! I hope you like it!

Honey Maple Syrup

1 cup Raw Honey
1/8 cup Pure Maple Syrup
2 packets Truvia sweetner
1 cup water

Bring all ingredients to a boil.

Boil for 5-10 minutes until desired thickness occurs.

Let cool slightly, and enjoy!


French Toast (Light Version)

6 Slices of Nature's Own Whole Wheat Light Bread
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Mix Almond Milk, Egg Yolks, Vanilla, and Cinnamon in a bowl.

Lightly soak bread, and cook on medium low heat for approximately two minutes, and then flip.

The key to great french toast is not rushing it! Take your time! Enjoy it!